ronanvideos.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Videos available to all registered members! Please sign up or log in :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Where are we all?  (Read 3919 times)

eden

• Just Getting Started
    • http://www.ronankeating.lap.hu
Re: Where are we all?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 08:55:16 PM »

I'd be pleased to promote the forum a bit on my Facebook site, it might be some help for a kick-off, even if not much.
Juli

We are soldiers
Fighting for a cause that we\'re not sure of.

priscilla

• Lovin' Each Day
    • http://cilla83.hyves.nl
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 09:36:14 PM »

Hi, I'm still here too. I've been checking this forum often enough, but there never seemed to be any news. And as I am behind a computer all day I mostly wasn't really up to just chit chat.
But it would be sad to see this forum go. I like this one better than the official board, which seems to be quiet lately as well.
And i get most of the news from your account on twitter.
But maybe we can get it up and running again. Wouldn't it be an idea to post the link of this forum on your twitter account and maybe share links of youtube videos here and discuss it. I think the old idea of posting that were taped is a bit old fashioned. Most of the stuff can be found on youtube nowadays.
Lots a love from Holland, Priscilla
A beautiful and blinding morning
The world outside begins to breathe
See clouds arriving without warning
I need you here to shelter me

janina

• Administrator
  • Addicted
  • Favourite Ronan album: Fires
    • http://ronankeatingnews.com
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 10:46:17 PM »

Ah :) See how easy it is to actually get a conversation going? 17 new posts in the past two days! So instead of getting ready for bed, I'm staying for another minute...

Sometimes I honestly wonder whether Twitter has generally made people too lazy to type more than 140 characters, and whether that's why message boards have all gone quiet? Or am I just being too cynical there? But are enough people willing to return to forums at all, and have proper discussions with each other?

We can absolutely use Youtube links - that's what I'm currently looking at. Personally, I'm the collector kind of person who wants a decent quality copy to keep forever instead of just watching a Youtube clip - and I know downoading from Youtube is easy, but most files aren't top quality. But I am totally happy to switch to Youtube if that's what people are more likely to use.
My plan is to upload the clips that I have to Youtube but make them unlisted, so that the search on Youtube won't find them, and then embed the videos on ronanvideos for people to watch, and comment on. Added bonus: no need to worry about server space usage.

The reason I've never actively promoted ronanvideos anywhere is the illegal video downloads, which are physically located on my server. I've never felt like asking for trouble by making everyone aware of it. But the day we start using Youtube instead of placing files on my server, it becomes easier to promote the site. Technically, of course we have no permission to upload anything to Youtube either unless we are the copyright owners, which for videos of Ronan we're clearly not. But most clips on Youtube seem to get tolerated, and in the very worst case Universal would just have the odd video removed from Youtube, instead of my host suspending my site.

So, yes, if we do switch to embedded videos then we can promote the forum without having to worry about anything. I just don't know if phpBB is really still 'hip' enough or if we could attract more new members using a different community software, keeping the phpBB forums online as read-only.
Forum wise, phpBB is a relatively mature software and we're used to all of its features. The other software I'm currently testing is newer, has a wider set of 'social networking' features, but the individual features might not be as sophisticated yet - if that makes sense.

Thoughts? x
There was a dream that we both used to share
And we swore we would never wake
Now the dream's a nightmare,
and the truth to be fair
Is that dreaming was the first mistake.

aimzta85

• On My Way
  • Favourite Ronan album: Winter Songs or Fires
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »

I'll have a think over the weekend and if I can come up with something to get people back I'll let you know. I got your PM too (will reply ASAP) and will check out the new site at the same time xx

You're the smile I can't resist.

janina

• Administrator
  • Addicted
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »

Almost tempted to see if we can bring this forum back to life if we make a few changes to simplify it. A couple of the subforums can go (e.g. Polls, Requests etc) in order to to tidy up the index page. Some of the remaining subforums can be merged because not all of them were ever very busy.

Would it be nice to have a forum calendar where birthdays and events could be viewed?
What would make you want to come back every other day? Any specific kind of content? Or just more people to talk to?

I can e-mail everyone who hasn't logged in for years and invite them to visit again - a handful of people might come back, but most people probably aren't even using the same e-mail addresses anymore. We definitely need new members in the mid term. But like I said, with downloads as such removed, promo won't be a problem. The challenge is making people want to join.

If anyone has any more ideas for improvement, please post them. :)
and the truth to be fair

eden

• Just Getting Started
    • http://www.ronankeating.lap.hu
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 03:41:42 PM »

I like your ideas, I think an event calendar would be nice, if different type of events could be distinguished (like tour dates, tv appearances, remarkable dates of Ronan's life - his bday and so on -, members birthdays etc.), if only with coloring or filtering.

A spring-cleaning of inactive topics would also be useful, for a better transparency.

I think if the site is ready to be "relaunched", it would be nice to send a newsletter to the registered members. It can also be promoted on your FB/twitter profile, and through friendly sites.
Juli

We are soldiers
Fighting for a cause that we\'re not sure of.

janina

• Administrator
  • Addicted
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »

I've been at it already just now, deleting a few subforums and the old posts in them that are no longer relevant. I might prune/merge the Voting subforum too. The Downloads subforum will be removed, and the topics in Online Now will eventually be edited to contain the Youtube links. I'd say most of the Ronan related topics are probably still relevant in a news archive kind of way.

If we decide to stick with a forum, I'd like to try and convert from phpBB to SMF because that comes with a built-in calendar and some other nice features. I can try out a conversion without it having any effect on the current forum. If it works, it will just copy all posts and members over. It'll be very similar to this forum, just slightly better (in my opinion).
and the truth to be fair

aimzta85

• On My Way
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 08:59:59 PM »

I think a calendar with special events is a great idea and as much as I love them take away the downloads so the forum can be publicised more. Linking to YouTube privately sounds great as we can still view the videos that would have been posted in the download section. And I suppose there are ways to download from YouTube if people want to keep them..

priscilla

• Lovin' Each Day
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »

Yeah as much as i loved the downloads (it was the reason i signed up for ths forum) it might be better to stop with those and change to youtube links. It's indeed not taking up server space and we might be able to promote the forum. I also like the idea of unlisted clips.

Indeed you can download from youtube to keep something for yourself. I used any video converterfor it, which is freeware.

I also like the idea of a calendar woth events like tours, tv dates, but also birthdays of members.

I don't have any other great ideas at the moment, but i will think about it.

janina

• Administrator
  • Addicted
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 10:01:40 PM »

I will of course always be happy to share/swap original video files privately on demand 8)

I'll see if I can find the time to make some changes over the coming weekend and then you can see how you like it. Meanwhile, any ideas you may have are more than welcome.
and the truth to be fair

janina

• Administrator
  • Addicted
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »

How about a new subforum where everyone can create their own polls just for fun? Would you actively use that?
and the truth to be fair

aimzta85

• On My Way
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »

Personally, I probably wouldn't use the polls mainly based on the lack of free time I have these days but I think others might if they get to create their own and can then talk about what the polls show (if that makes sense)!

janina

• Administrator
  • Addicted
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 09:11:29 PM »

Must upload more videos over the weekend. Most of them are on my external hard drives, which I need to get out of the cupboard first.

It's still much too quiet though. Talk some of your friends into joining, I promise there'll be more videos to watch soon!
and the truth to be fair

priscilla

• Lovin' Each Day
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 09:30:01 PM »

It's indeed still quiet. I have no idea where everybody has gone.

janina

• Administrator
  • Addicted
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 05:21:32 PM »

I'll tell you where they've gone... Facebook and Twitter. Too lazy to visit any other websites these days :(
and the truth to be fair
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up